To begin with on PrEP, confer with your regular physician or nursing assistant, or go to a intimate wellness Clinic. There are also other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right for me personally?
To discover if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is for HIV-negative individuals who will be prepared to just simply take an everyday pill.
You should look at using PrEP in the event that you:
- Usually do not always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently possessed a sexually transmitted infection (sti)
- Do have more than one intimate partner
- Have partner who has got intercourse along with other lovers
- Have partner who’s got HIV and a detectable or unknown viral load
- Want to conceive having a partner that has HIV
- Have partner whom will not get an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for cash, medications or even destination to keep
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects medications
How can PrEP stop HIV?
If you should be confronted with HIV, the medications in PrEP stop the herpes virus from distributing during your human body, preventing an HIV illness. PrEP just works so you need to take PrEP every day if you have enough medicine in your body.
Truvada® — the medication that is only authorized as PrEP — is a variety of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are exactly the same safe medicines that lots of people with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Exactly what are the negative effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been used to take care of individuals with HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP try not to report any side-effects. For folks who do, probably the most side that is common are sickness, upset belly, tiredness and headaches. These symptoms usually have better or go away in the month that is first of PrEP. Rare negative effects include bone or kidney issues. Your medical professional or nurse will allow you to handle any unwanted effects.
Just how well does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for folks who use the product at the very least four times per week. Your HIV risk is a lot reduced invest the PrEP each and every day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, this has aided reduce brand new HIV infections across nyc.
If We simply take PrEP, do We nevertheless need certainly to utilize condoms?
PrEP is an effective hiv avoidance selection for those who don’t use condoms whenever they have intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and pregnancy that is unintended.
Just how do I simply simply take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a capsule as soon as a even on days that you do not have sex or inject drugs day.
PrEP is recommended by way of a medical practitioner or nursing assistant.
- Prior to starting PrEP: your physician or nursing assistant will test one to make certain you would not have HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthier.
- You every three months for HIV and at least every six months for other STIs while you are on PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test.
For more information about what to anticipate when PrEP that is taking an individual’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
The length of time does it just simply take for PrEP to get results?
Studies declare that you’ll want to simply simply take PrEP that is daily for minimum:
- A week before PrEP provides maximum security when you might be the receptive or “bottom” partner during rectal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It is really not yet understood russian mail order wives what number of times you will need to just simply take PrEP before it could offer maximum protection while you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or genital intercourse.
How to buy PrEP?
In ny State, PrEP is included in Medicaid and a lot of medical insurance plans.
You may be eligible for a patient assistance program that helps pay for PrEP if you do not have insurance or have a high co-pay. Medical clinics can also apply help patients. It is possible to register into an insurance that is low-cost by calling 311.
Find out about your re re Payment choices for PrEP (PDF).
May I get PrEP if i’m an undocumented immigrant
Immigration status doesn’t influence your capability to obtain PrEP. You can easily properly consult with staff at our Health that is sexual clinics how your immigration status may influence your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention practices.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even although you are more youthful than 18, parental permission is not needed to start out PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the center is likely to be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can really help you with this particular procedure.
Exactly just How else may I remain HIV-negative?
- Learn about crisis PEP. You were recently exposed to HIV, go immediately to your doctor or an emergency room and ask for PEP, an emergency medication that can prevent HIV if you are not taking PrEP and think. It is possible to phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to get going on PEP straight away. The hotline is present 24/7.
- Utilize condoms as much that you can. Discover the type and size of condom you want. Condoms are for sale to free in every five boroughs. To get our where you could get a condom that is free call 311 or look at the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or lubricant that is silicone-based specially during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test could be the only method to understand if you or a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about assessment. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers in regards to the time that is last had an HIV test. To make sure, get tested together.
- Help your lovers coping with HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to have HIV care and simply simply take their medicines every so they stay healthy and do not pass HIV to others day.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be simpler to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent drugs and alcohol if you have intercourse. Consuming or getting high if you have intercourse makes it difficult to keep in mind to utilize condoms. For assistance to prevent using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are around for over 200 languages.
- Utilize clean syringes (PDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid syringes that are sharing cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you are able to get clean syringes in the town.
PrEP for ladies
PrEP is definitely A hiv that is effective choice for cisgender and transgender females whenever taken daily.
Ladies who have actually genital intercourse should be specially careful to just just take PrEP each day to keep sufficient medication in their vaginal tissue to stop an HIV infection.
Ladies who have intercourse with ladies and whom are subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can additionally take advantage of PrEP.
Will PrEP affect my contraceptive?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP doesn’t affect hormone-based contraception. PrEP only stops HIV, so that you nevertheless have to make use of birth prevention or condoms to stop pregnancy that is unintended other STIs.
Will PrEP restrict my hormones treatment?
No. There’s absolutely no proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the known degrees of hormones within you. Analysis has discovered that transgender women that simply take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Could I just just just take PrEP while looking to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who want to conceive a young child having a partner that is hiv-positive. PrEP is safe when it comes to child and mother both during and after maternity, and contains maybe maybe not demonstrated an ability to influence fertility.
If you wish to just simply take PrEP while wanting to conceive, consult with the doctor. You might want to consult a specialist for lots more guidance about making use of PrEP in this manner.